Friday 21 June 2013

Book Depository.. Excellent customer service!

If you are book lovers, you probably know Book Depository where you can buy books online and they provide free delivery worldwide.

I personally quite like to online shopping with them, the prices are reasonable, and the responses have been prompt and good. Delivery is free, so I do not have to do extra calculation (as the currency is in USD). Sometimes though, NoQAsia offers better price for certain books esp Kumon books and their currency is in SGD. But NoQAsia charges delivery and GST, you'll have to do your calculations and comparisons.

I ordered an Oxford dictionary to be sent to my helper's daughters in Philippines, on the 26th Apr'13 through Book Depository. As usual, they sent confirmation almost immediately. On 1st May'13 they informed me that the dictionary has been dispatched.

Last Sat (15th Jun'13), I asked my helper if her daughters recevied the parcel, she replied not yet. I wrote to Book Depository and got a reply from them the same day that they were sorry that my order has not yet arrived and that they confirmed it was dispatched on 1st May'13. They asked if the address (they stated it again) was correct and asked that we checked with the local post office. If still have not received, to contact them again.

Upon checking, I replied them 2 days later that we really did not receive. They thanked me for confirming, and asked if I would like to have free replacement or refund in full. I opted to have the refund as I can't be sure if a free replacement would reach them. I do not want to take a risk (though it's a small one).

The next day, I received their email as below:


For privacy, I've changed my name and the order number to XXXX, but can you see how many times they apologise in that note? And how much was my order? It was only a U$12.01 order! Well, it could be a template they used, but the idea is, this note = excellent customer service!

I'll definitely commend this effort. Some words on customer service:

It is the SERVICE we are not obliged to give that people VALUE the most

Giving customers A LITTLE MORE than they expect is a good way to get back A LOT MORE than you would expect

Customer service is not a DEPARTMENT, it's an ATTITUDE

Now, as I did not dare to take the risk to re-send a free replacement, I would have to buy a dictionary in Popular to be mailed to them. I'm happy to do it nevertheless, I'm a happy customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment