Thursday 27 June 2013

The Hurried Child, Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon by David Elkind



Title: The Hurried Child, Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon
Author: David Elkind
ISBN: 0-201-03967-2

It is really interesting to read something written in year 1981 yet still and very relevant to our parenting style in this day. The book made me reflect upon my parenting style and I am aware I’m “guilty as charged”. I blame the society we are in, to rush children to grow up, assume responsibilities without being given a choice to enjoy childhood, the here and now of their childhood.
One particular paragraph that struck a chord in me is below:


I personally do not like battery operated toys (no hard feelings for anyone who have bought them before for my precious). They do not just leave little no space for child's imagination, they are not environmental friendly either. You'll need to replace the batteries with new ones or charge the rechargeable batteries, otherwise the toys would be DEAD.

At any time, I would prefer any of the below, anytime, if not on excursion. Below are some of his work with various  materials.

Blocks

Crayons

Paints
Mini Teacup

Mini furniture
Pipes

Sand

Playdoh!
Sticker Scenes!

No comments:

Post a Comment